- Remove the tank.
- Unscrew the tappet hole caps.
- When the No. 1 piston (pistons are numbered from left to right from the rider’s position (Fig. 1)) is at top-dead-center of the compression stroke.
- Remove the point cover and align the “T” (1.4) mark on the spark advancer to the timing mark (Fig. 2)
- Then check and adjust valve tappet clearances indicated by “0″ in the chart below.
- Measure the clearances using a feeler gauge, adjust by loosening the lock nut and turning the adjuster screw, and tighten the lock nut. (Fig. 3)
- Next, rotate the crankshaft one revolution and realign the “T” (1.4) mark on the spark advancer to the timing mark (Fig 2)(in this position, the No. 4 piston is at top-dead-center of the compression stroke). Then check and adjust the valve tappet clearances indicated by ” X ” in the chart below. See item #5 above for proper valve tappet clearances.
- Hold the adjusting screw so that it is not turned when tightening the lock nut.
- Make sure the clearance is not disturbed when the lock nut is tightened.
|Valve tappet clearances:|
|INLET 0.05 mm (0. 002 in.)|
|EXHAUST 0.08 mm (0. 003 in.)|
|Cylinder||Inlet Valve||Exhaust Valve|
|* No. 4||X||X|